If the two of you differ in your convictions regarding the divine, you know how challenging it can be to find common ground with such powerful and intimate thoughts. You may feel sad or indifferent that the two of you aren't closer. If your mother doesn't share your beliefs and you've given up talking with her about this topic, ask yourself the following questions: Is it okay for the two of you to have different beliefs and still respect and enjoy each other? If not, why? If you're the one trying to convert her, understanding and accepting her perspective can be far more effective than convincing her that your way better. If your mother is trying to convert you, can you honestly say that you have listened to her with open ears? Or have you tuned her out because you're tired of hearing the same old story? Have you told her what your beliefs are, or have you stayed silent to avoid a confrontation? Use this workshop as a chance to uncover your true beliefs about spirituality, and learn about the way your mother's views have helped shape them.
Questions to ask your mom
As always, the following questions are designed to help you talk to your mother about a very important subject. Be sure to keep track of any progress that you have made in a private journal.
- Do you believe in God? If so, how do you envision God? Heaven? Hell?
- Did you have a specific experience where you learned there was a God, or have you always believed and never questioned?
- What do you think happens after death?
- When or where do you feel most connected to a higher power?
- Where do you turn when you are unable to make sense of tragedy or loss?
- What is one of the most mystical or spiritual experiences you've had?
- Where do you feel most connected to your spiritual self in your life?
- Have you had an experience that tested your faith? Confirmed your faith?
- What are some of your favorite prayers? Spiritual passages? Songs?
- What is your favorite religious holiday?
- Have you ever been to a psychic? What would convince you to go?
- Have you ever had your astrological chart done? Do you believe it helps?
- Have you ever witnessed a miracle? What happened?
- What intuitive hunches have you had that you're glad you followed?
- If you were God for a day, what would you do with the world?
One last thing
If you haven't said "I love you" to your mother lately, don't wait. Pick up the phone right now and tell her, even if she's never said it to you.