Now that you have (hopefully) begun to get outdoors a little, this is a great time to begin to keep a Nature Notebook. You may choose to make one for the entire family or create separate books for each family member.
Materials and Tools
- Twenty sheets of primarily pastel colored construction paper.
- Hole punch
- One roll of clear adhesive paper
- One yard yarn, string or ribbon
- One twelve inch wooden ruler
- One giant imagination
- Decorate one sheet of paper to use as a cover.
- Cover both sides of this sheet with clear adhesive and neatly trim edges.
- Decorate back cover if desired and cover both sides with adhesive.
- Carefully mark and punch two holes on one edge of the each cover. Each hole should be one inch in from the edge and three inches from the top or bottom. The holes on all pages must line up. All additional sheets should have holes punched in the same two places.
- Holding the ruler at the punched edge of the first sheet (covering the holes), fold the paper over the edge of the ruler and crease. This is done to make it easier to turn the pages later.
- Repeat with each page, separately.
- Now stack your pages together, covers in place. Tie your ribbon or string into the top hole, from the back, and then down the front and out the second hole, to the back.
- Tie securely.
You now have the beginning of your Nature Notebook. Additional pages can be added at any time, following the same procedure.