Photo Credit: Lucky Duck Productions
On May 16, Nick News, the earnest journalistic arm of Nickelodeon, tackles yet another critical childhood issue -- Annoying Things Parents Say and Do.
Alright, so Nick News: So Not Cool: The Most Annoying Stuff Parents Say and Do (which will unfortunately be shortened by most DVRs and TV listings to read Nick News: So Not Cool) won't exactly win Linda Ellerbee and Co. another Peabody Award, but the show does manage to round up a serious group of celebrities to reminisce about their folks' least pleasant habits.
Among them: Tina Fey claims her family called her "baby" until she was 29, Brad Garrett says his parents used to constantly tell him "When you're taller, you'll understand" and Tracey Ullman says her parents embarrassed her by dancing and singing in front of her friends (someone should check with Tracey's two kids to see what lessons she learned from that experience). Other guests include Marlon Wayans, Wendy Williams, Howie Mandel, Jenna Elfman, Aisha Tyler, Maya Rudolph and Fran Drescher.
But like all Nick News specials, the focus is on real, contemporary kids. The show shares the results of an online poll in which kids rank the top ten "most annoying" things parents do. (If this were Letterman's show, he'd probably have Michael Lohan read the list). Here's a preview of those gripes:
10) When they say, "Go ask your mom!" or "Go ask your dad!"
9) When they obsess about things that don't matter.
8) When they say, "Because I said so, that's why!"
7) When they say, "When I was your age…"
6) When they say, "When you're older, you’ll understand."
5) When my parents tell old and really corny jokes to my friends.
4) When my parents treat me like a little kid.
3) When my parents nag me.
2) When parents say "Act your age!"
1) When parents don't act their age.
What would your kids say is the most annoying thing you do or say? Chime in below!