A NIGHT TO REMEMBER By Dr. Ellen Kriedman
Want to create an evening that your mate will never forget? Here are eight simple - and inexpensive -- ways to make the two of you feel like a million bucks.
1) Send your mate a formal invitation requesting the honor of their presence at (give your home address) and include the date and time.
2) On that evening, either prepare a meal or order in from your favorite restaurant. However, this isn't a regular romantic dinner: You are not going to have any utensils. Instead, you are going to feed each other with your hands. (Don't pick typical finger food, like chicken drumsticks. That wouldn't be as much fun as spaghetti and meatballs.) Remember, start with the salad, move onto the main course and then have dessert. Be prepared to experience anything from hilarious laughter to the joy a couple feels on their wedding day when they feed each other a slice of cake.
3) Replace the white light bulbs in your bedroom with red ones. When he or she turns the light on, the room will be flooded with a soft red glow. Tell your mate, "Red is the color of love, and I wanted to fill the whole room with my love for you.
4) Arrange candles in the bathroom and prepare a bubble bath for two. Have a champagne toast to the two of you while relaxing in the tub.
5) Scatter rose petals on the bed. When your mate sees the rose petals, tell him or her that you've always wanted to make love on a "bed of roses."
6) Plan on giving your partner a massage. There are some wonderful creams and lotions on the market that will help ease the tension and and erase the cares.
7) At the end of the evening, hand your mate a love letter that tells him or her how wildly attracted you are to them and how much they mean to you.
8) Finally, carry the Valentine's spirit over to the next morning. This is an inexpensive project, but it will create a memory that lasts forever. Buy a dozen uninflated balloons. On 12 small pieces of paper, write down the traits that make your mate special. For example," You have the most beautiful brown eyes," "You light up a room with your smile" or "I love your sense of humor." Stuff the pieces of paper into the balloons and then blow up the balloons. Put them in your mate's car. Then on the windshield leave a long needle and a note reading, "The only way you'll be able to get into your car is to pop each balloon and read the message inside that tells you why you are so special to me!"
Your mate will be driving to work with a smile on his face, knowing that he has to be the luckiest person alive to have you in his life.
Want more ideas on how to set the mood for romance and passion? Here's what other iVillage members say works for them: Member Tips from the Jump Start Your Sex Life Community Challenge 20 Tips for Improving Your Love Life from the Great Sex Weekend Community Challenge
Return to the Guest Experts main page.