Photo Credit: Getty Images
- No matter how shallow the bath water is, an unsupervised infant can drown in it
- Keep baby rear-facing in the car seat until he is 20 pounds and 1 year of age
- Make sure the hot water heater is set no higher than 120oF to prevent burns
- Don’t forget to put the gates at the top and bottom of the stairs
- A bucket of water is as deadly as a swimming pool when it comes to drowning
It is also a good time to ask about what concerns you have about your baby’s care. The next routine check-up is usually at 12 months of age. Things your baby may be able to do between now and then include:
- Respond to the word "no"
- Say "mama" or "dada"
- Play Peek-a-boo
- Walk either alone or holding onto furniture
- Imitate sounds
A test looking for anemia (hematocrit or hemoglobin) is usually done either at the nine month or twelve month visit
- Hep B (Hepatitis B) Given if it wasn’t completed by the six-month visit
Good luck, have fun, and don’t forget to schedule the one-year visit.