Oily skin usually peaks at puberty but can last well into your 20's and 30's. There are ways to treat your oily skin that can help prevent drying it out (yes, it's possible!) and prevent from over moisturizing. Read on and try out these easy tips to make your skin more radiant.
- Use an astringent daily to remove excess oils. Don't use an alcohol-based products -- if you strip too much oil from your face, the skin will overcompensate and produce even more oil.
- Cleanse at least twice a day with a mild cleanser to help prevent clogged pores. But don't scrub hard or over wash your face.
- Moisturizing is not necessary on a daily basis. However, if your face feels tight after washing, then apply a light, oil-free moisturizer. Avoid mineral oils and cocoa butter.
- When choosing makeup, especially foundation and blush, buy oil-free products. Makeup that is water based and non comedogenic won't clog pores. (There are also oil-absorbing foundations that help keep oil off the face.)
- Use a sunscreen that is not oil based, preferably a gel, as it's less greasy. Be sure to use a minimum SPF of 15.
- If you have breakouts, use a cleanser with salicylic acid to help exfoliate pores. There are also moisturizers that contain salicylic acid.