In a panic about how to update your look for spring? Don't be. All it takes to refresh your wardrobe are a few key pieces. One in particular is the trench coat. This smart staple is still chic in its classic Casablanca style, but the updated version for the season is much more luxe. Look for new details like cool belts, cropped or puffed sleeves and contrast piping to add impact to any outfit. And don't commit to khaki either. Eye-popping brights, fanciful prints and cool pastels are the new neutrals. How can you wear this universally flattering (it complements any figure — yes, even yours)? Let us count the ways.
- Opt for a masculine mix, and pair your trench with loose-fitting trousers, tailored oxfords and roomy vests.
- Let your topper work double duty and wear it as a dress — belt it, roll up the sleeves and walk out the door. Don't forget your heels.
- Look for party-perfect trenches adorned with feathers, sequins or beading for evening affairs. It'll make your age-old LBD (little black dress) feel new again.
- Just cinch it — add your own wide belt in any color, to pack extra punch into your ensemble.
- Or crop it — whether you buy an already short style or lop off a few inches of an existing long one, pair it with a full skirt for a full-on flirty look.
- Opt for light layering by pairing a three-quarter-sleeve trench over a long-sleeved blousy top and slouchy pants. Keep it girly by wearing a short belted number with an asymmetrical skirt.
- Keep your accoutrements simple when sporting printed or metallic outerwear. Pretty linen flats and a sleek cuff are elegant extras to pair with a statement coat.
- Don't rule out shorts. Don a baggy pair of khaki shorts with a matching khaki cropped trench for the ultimate safari look.