Photo Credit: /
Are your kids begging you for a pet that they promise they'll take care of? Any addition to your family is a big responsibility and your kids will need some help with providing the proper care for their new friend. Get tips here!
Adopting a pet is a big commitment and will take some planning. Here are a few things to think about:
- What is your lifestyle like? Are you generally more active or more content to relax at home?
- How much time can you realistically spend caring for and loving your new pet?
- Can you afford the expenses of food, medical care, boarding, grooming, toys, etc.?
- Find out what you can expect when you visit a shelter
- Plus, visit the Pet Adoption Resource Center now.
Helping Kids and Pets Get Along
- Make Care Time Fun
- Create a Safety Board
- Bake Crunchy Dog Biscuits
- Write a Dog-Day Story
- Curb aggression before it gets out of hand
- Prevent your dog from jumping
- Teach your kids to respect your puppy's needs
- Get more information about dog care, behavior and training.
- Keep your cat from biting
- Alternatives to declawing
- Prepare Your cat for a new baby
- Get more information about cat care and behavior
Beyond Cats and Dogs
Thinking about getting a different kind of pet for your little ones? As usual, our members are in the know. Find out what it takes to care for these animals:
More Advice and Support
The Pets channel community is a great resource to find ideas about raising a happy and healthy family pet. See what members are saying on these message boards: