SOURCE:From Lita, an iVillage.com member and adapted from Sephardic Holiday Cooking, authored by Gilda Angel. Published by Decalogue Books.
Sam's Vegetable Kugel
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 small zucchini, shredded
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup steamed beet greens or steamed spinach, chopped
2 large garlic cloves
Fresh sprig of dill, chopped
Handful of parsley, chopped
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of thyme
1/2 cup matzoh meal
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup seltzer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small frying pan, heat enough oil to cover bottom of pan. Add vegetables and garlic, and saute. Add dill, parsley, pepper and thyme. Fry 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Mash garlic when it softens. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Put matzoh meal in a separate bowl. Pour in frothy beaten eggs. Add seltzer and 1/4 cup warm water. Stir while it foams.
- Combine both mixtures. Spoon into a greased 9-inch-ssquare baking pan. Decorate the surface with sliced mushrooms in 6 criss-crossed rows - like a tic-tac-toe.
- Cover with aluminum foil to prevent kugel from drying out. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil the last 10 minutes to brown top. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into nine 3-inch squares.
Yield: serves 9
SOURCE: Beni's Family Cookbook, authored by Jane Breskin Zalben. Copyright by Henry Holt and Company (1996). Reprinted with permission.
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter or margarine