1/2 cup granulated sugar
7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup Passover cake meal
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Crushed walnuts to taste - (optional, Beni likes 1/3 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt butter with 1/4 cup of the sugar over low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Melt chocolate with butter and sugar. Stir until melted. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks 4 minutes until thick and pale yellow in color. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and cake meal. Whisk into the warm chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer, slowly adding salt and 1/4 cup remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter. Mix thoroughly by hand.
- Pour into a greased 7 1/2 inch by 11 inch baking dish. Dot top with walnuts. Bake 30 minutes or until top is crusty.
- Cool. Cut into squares.
Yield: 15 flourless brownies
SOURCE: Beni's Family Cookbook, authored by Jane Breskin Zalben. Copyright by Henry Holt and Company (1996). Reprinted with permission.
- 6 onions
- 3 large carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 5 medium beets
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 5 medium potatoes
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large horseradish
- 1/2 cup steamed beet greens or steamed spinach, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch chopped parsley