Photo Credit: Fox2000, Universal
Already a hit in its opening weekend in theaters (raking in $39 million), Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief has been compared to the Harry Potter series, and its star, 18-year-old Logan Lerman, has been hailed as the next Daniel Radcliffe. What else does the fantasy film share in common with Harry Potter? More than you might think!
1. The story is a mythological adventure to rival Harry Potter. The premise: American teenager (Lerman) discovers that he’s the demi-god son of Poseidon and a mortal (Catherine Keener), is accused by Zeus of stealing his lightning bolt. Just like Harry, Percy's part of a teen trio that includes pals Grover (Brandon T. Jackson) and Annabeth (Alexandra Daddario). Look out Harry, Hermione and Ron!
2. Director Chris Columbus knows his way around a fantastical tale: He already helmed two Potter pics, 2001's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and 2002's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
3. Percy comes from a best-selling book series by Rick Riordan with a huge tween and teen fanbase -- and there are a whole string of books that have yet to see the big screen. It’s another movie series that has the potential to create blockbuster after blockbuster a la Harry.
4. Percy has abandonment issues -- the hero hasn’t seen his father Poseidon since he was a baby. His stepfather (Joe Pantoliano) literally smells and abuses his long-suffering mother -- but, trust us, there’s a sneaky reason for Mom’s choice of mates.
5. Percy is obviously crushing on Annabeth, the daughter of Athena – even though she’s clearly a few grades ahead as a warrior and strategist. But, like Harry in the early movies, there’s not even a chaste kiss to be had between the flirting pair by the end of the film.
6. Just like Harry, famous faces abound in supporting roles: Uma Thurman plays Medusa, ex-James Bond Pierce Brosnan is a centaur, Rosario Dawson is Persephone, Grey's Anatomy's Kevin McKidd is Poseidon and the always hilarious Steve Coogan plays Hades, the lord of the underworld, as a kind of heavy-metal rock ‘n roll nerd.
PHOTOS: See Percy Jackson actor Logan Lerman and other breakout stars of 2010!
Are you interested in seeing Percy Jackson & the Olympians -- why or why not? Chime in below!