Pick your poison

Do you know which household products are the most potent poisons for curious child? Bleach? Window cleaner? Actually, the most hazardous substance are drain cleaner, and perhaps more surprisingly, dishwasher detergent. Both extremely basic (the opposite of acidic) and may cause serious burns to the child's mouth and throat. If a child is suspected of swallowing either of these products, he should be taken immediately to an emergency room for examination.

Better yet, take care to avoid this tragedy by storing things safely. Drain cleaner is used infrequently, so it can be stored high up, behind a locked door. Dishwasher detergent is usually stored under a sink. If you keep it there, be sure the cabinet is closed with truly child-proof latches and don't leave it open after you retrieve an item. Never transfer cleaning supplies or other chemicals to other receptacles, especially empty food containers.

Another type of poisoning hazard you may not recognize is vitamins. Iron is extremely toxic if taken in large quantities. Child-proof caps may be annoying but leave them on. Keep all medications, including vitamins, out of reach. Never refer to pills as "candy" - that will only make them more attractive. Pain relievers are another medication found in most homes. Aspirin is toxic, but rarely fatal. Non-aspirin pain relievers containing acetaminophen are more dangerous as severe liver damage occurs after large ingestions. Formulations intended for children are usually packaged in small quantities to avoid this possibility but adult strength package contain enough to be harmful.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web