You don't have to be a movie star to dress up for daytime this season. While denim continues to rage on in full force, looking polished and ladylike is en vogue again as well. Enter velvet. This lustrous fabric is essential to looking sophisticated, stylish and sexy for fall. Whether it's a shrunken jacket, wide-leg trousers or a backless dress, every well- dressed woman should own a piece of it. Even a simple velvet handbag will transform any outfit from fine to divine. But how much is too much? That's up to you. A smart fashionista doesn't blindly follow trends '- she knows what suits her personal style and what doesn't. Here's a simple guide to how to wear velvet this season.
Yes, women are dressing up for daytime this fall, but that doesn't mean you need to look buttoned up or dowdy. It's almost as if a sexy, chic revolution has been born, and looking like a lady is alluring. That's where velvet comes into play:
- Wear a shrunken velvet jacket with a full skirt and heels. Sounds stuffy? Throw on a pretty camisole or this season's sheer romantic blouse under the jacket. And there's always denim, but you can wear it in a refined way. Tuck your dark jeans into flat- or stacked-heel boots with the same jacket. Unbutton your blouse just one more than you usually do and accessorize with layered chains.
- Velvet tunics take the boho look from messy to dressy.
- Velvet-trim coats, pants and dresses are the perfect day-to-evening pieces. Just bring your makeup to work and create a smoky eye or mod mascara look before you make your head-turning entrance into a cocktail party.
The dress is back this season '- stronger and sexier than ever before. This is a far cry from the little-girl dress you wore during your childhood with tights and mary janes. Designers have turned the velvet frock into fashions that rock by creating provocative halter styles, dresses with jewel embellishments and how-low-can-you-go V-necks and V-backs.
- Brush on blood-red toenail polish and wear strappy sandals or open-toe stilettos with your gown. And why not? Wear this come-hither color on your fingernails too.
- Not a dress person, are you? No problem. Sexy slim velvet pants can be just as eye catching. Wear them with satin halters, camisoles or romantic blouses with bows. Wide-leg trousers can accomplish the same look.
- Don't limit yourself to black. Deep-water blues and gemstone hues look sensational in velvet.
What's a hot trend without accessories? You'll fall head over... ahem, heels with velvet shoes and handbags this season. With velvet, a little goes a long way, so even though you might not be wearing this fashionable fabric as a garment, you'll still be making a statement.
- Platforms in particular are a hot way to wear velvet, since this is the new "It" shoe style of the season. Wear them with glamour in the evening by pairing them with a little black dress or taffeta ball gown.
- Daytime looks run the gamut from velvet boots and jersey dresses to velvet T-straps with high-waisted jeans.
- Bags, too, can go either way. Velvet clutches and totes can be worn to casual affairs or formal fetes. Go for a double fashion whammy and find an embellished velvet bag.
- Velvet wraps and belts add panache to dresses and skirts. Tie a velvet sash around your favorite cardigan for extra flair.