Potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw are always crowd-pleasers, but let's face it -- they are also usually loaded with saturated fat. Never fear! We've decided to give these favorite recipes a healthy (but still delicious) low-fat makeover.
Broccoli Cole Slaw with Raisins
Pre-packaged broccoli slaw makes this healthy summer salad extra easy.
- 1 pound pre-packaged broccoli cole slaw (regular cole slaw mix may be substituted)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- low-fat mayonnaise to bind
Combine ingredients in a bowl and add mayonnaise to bind according to taste. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Low-Fat Basil Potato Salad
A delicious and yet easy potato salad with a low-fat twist.
- 4 pounds red potatoes, cooked and sliced into quarters
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 1.75-ounce jar of capers, drained
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
In a food processor or blender, chop basil leaves until finely minced. Add mayonnaise and process until mixed. Toss basil mayonnaise with other ingredients in a large bowl and keep chilled until ready to use.
Low-Fat Macaroni Salad
- 1 16-ounce box of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup celery
- 2/3 cup cooked peas
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
In a large bowl combine ingredients and keep chilled until ready to use.