Pregnancy journal: "We're pregnant!"


In the meantime, it appears that the outside world continues to exist. A good friend has been having a day-care nightmare. Her provider is pregnant, is having a difficult time and has had to close on several occasions due to complications. I have been on standby to pick up my friend’s son at a moment’s notice if needed, and I had volunteered to watch him when the baby arrives. This week I received a call that the day-care provider had had an emergency cesarean (mother and baby are both fine) and was asked to watch my friend’s little boy this week and next. Of course I agreed. So, her son and mine -- three weeks apart in age -- spent the week playing together. Her son was a perfect gentleman. I did have a difficult time at first because he spoke only two words all day long: “please” and “juice.” Apparently, “please” meant, “I want something.” (He knew just what he wanted, but I had no clue.) And “juice” meant any type of food or drink. (Again, I tried in vain to figure out what he wanted.) So, a few pesky calls to mom later, he and I were on good terms and the week progressed without much further ado.

Actually, watching another child has given me confidence. I know that while the two kids are close in age and at a similar stage of development it won’t be the case with Jacob and our new baby for many, many years to come, but there was something reassuring about surviving a week with two kids in my house. While the challenge of raising a newborn and an older toddler at the same time may be more trying, I now know that I can divide my attention between two children -- at least for five days.


That being said, by week’s end I found myself being upstaged by an intense fatigue. I couldn’t manage to wake up on time in the morning. Rob works second shift, so our normal schedule is a bit different than most. Generally he and I go to bed long after midnight (Jacob does fall asleep earlier) and the three of us are lucky to hear our alarm at 8:30am. As this fatigue got the better of me I began to re-think the wisdom in my decision to watch another child, much less a child who needed to be dropped off at 7am! Even missing a morning shower didn’t help me sleep much past 6:30. But I certainly could not leave my friend without day care, so I enlisted Rob’s help in the early morning hours and the two of us vowed to assist for another week and make up the much needed sleep as soon as possible.

As the week drew to a close I found myself lying comfortably on my bed, my precious baby at my breast, trying to quietly lull him to sleep. Jacob is still nursing and I fully enjoy that arrangement. With the exception of only a few nights he has slept in our bed his entire life. (More on that in the weeks to come.)

Like this? Want more?
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web