- Individual space cakes: Cooking or craft stores may carry pans for making small cakes in the shapes of stars or other space objects. If not, use a small rectangular pan. Provide one cake per two guests and offer several cake decorating items, such as multicolored frostings, sprinkles, and small plastic space toys. Have a contest to see which pair comes up with the most ingenious space cake.
- For more innovative and yummy food ideas, visit the ParentsPlace.com Community Cookbook.
Keep in mind your preschooler's stage of development and you can't go wrong. Children this age are exploring a whole new social world and finally comprehend the concept of sharing with others. In addition, preschoolers are busy developing fine motor skills. With this in mind, here are some appropriate and fun suggestions:
- Board games: Preschoolers love games such as Candyland, Sorry and Operation. Games that can be played individually are also excellent gifts.
- Make-believe: Because they're at an imaginative age, preschoolers love costumes that they can use in make-believe play.
- Educational software: Many quality software selections are available for preschoolers which often package educational concepts within fun computer games. Children this age love a multimedia approach to art, music, science and math. Consumer Reports frequently evaluates these programs, and several Internet sites also give content information. In addition to large toy stores, educational companies such as Discovery Toys also sell software to the consumer.