1. Keep all chemicals and medicines locked up and out of sight.
2. Use child-resistant packaging properly by closing the container securely after each use or choosing child-resistant blister cards, which do not need to be re-secured.
3. Call (800) 222-1222 immediately in case of poisoning.
4. When products are in use, never let young children out of your sight, even if you must take them along when answering the phone or doorbell.
5. Keep items in original containers.
6. Leave the original labels on all products and read the label before using.
7. Do not put decorative lamps and candles that contain lamp oil where children can reach them. Lamp oil can be very toxic if ingested by young children.
8. Always leave the light on when giving or taking medicine. Check the dosage every time.
9. Avoid taking medicine in front of children. Refer to medicine as "medicine," not "candy."
10. Clean out the medicine cabinet periodically and safely dispose of unneeded and outdated medicines.
CPSC Press Release # 02-118, March 2002