For the true princess in your life—this is a challenging confection that experienced decorators will love to make. Be sure to have six decorating bags on hand, one for each of the six tips.
Skill Level: Difficult
Makes: One 8 x 9-inch cake; serves 16 to 20
- 3 to 4 tablespoons shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 recipes Yellow Cake batter
- 2 recipes Creamy White Frosting
- Pink gel or paste food color
- Purple gel or paste food color
- Pastel mini marshmallows, for crenellations
- Pink sugar pearls, for star centers
- 2 small pink sugar heart candies
- Five 1-inch sugar heart candies
- Waxed or parchment paper
- Two 6-inch round cake pans
- Two 9-inch round cake pans
- Wire cooling racks
- One 6-inch diameter cardboard base
- One 9-inch diameter cardboard base
- 2 glass measuring cups
- Small offset spatula
- Cake plate or 10-inch cardboard base, for serving
- 3 decorating bags with coupler assemblies
- #16 star tip, #3 round tip, #47 basketweave tip, #12 round tip, #30 star tip
- Paper banner with message (optional)
- Miniature taper candles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Lightly grease the bottom of each cake pan, then line it with waxed paper or parchment paper and grease and lightly flour the bottom and sides. Fill the prepared pans two-thirds full with batter. Bake the 6-inch cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Then bake the 9-inch cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. If you wish, you can bake the surplus batter in a small pan or as cupcakes. Cool the cakes completely in the pans on cooling racks and then turn them out onto the racks. Place one of each size cake onto a cardboard base.
- While the cakes are cooling, transfer 1/2 cup frosting to each of 2 glass measuring cups. Tint the remaining 5 cups frosting light pink. Tint 1 of the 1/2-cup portions light purple. Leave the other one white.
- Using an offset spatula, spread pink frosting over the top of 1 of each size cake; top each with the remaining same-size cake. Transfer each stack to the corresponding cardboard base. Set aside 1 cup of the pink frosting. Spread the remaining pink frosting over the top and sides of each cake.
- Transfer the 9-inch cake on its cardboard base to the center of the serving plate. Center the 6-inch cake, on its base, on top of it.
- Fit a decorating bag with the #16 star tip; add the reserved pink frosting to the bag. Referring to the photo, pipe shells around the top perimeter of each tier: For each, hold the bag at a 45-degree angle to the cake and moving the tip slightly, use even pressure to squeeze out the shell shape, then raise the tip and decrease the pressure to make a point; stop the pressure and, leaving room for a mini marshmallow, reposition the tip for the next shell. Press mini marshmallows into the frosting between the shells.
- Using the same tip, pipe a star border around the base of the top tier: For each star, hold the bag straight up with the tip against the cake; squeeze the bag, keeping the tip in the frosting until the star forms; stop the pressure and reposition the tip for the next star.
- Fit a second decorating bag with a #3 round tip; add the white frosting to the bag. Referring to the photo, pipe squiggly lines of varying lengths on the side of the top tier, drawing them down from the shell border. With the pink frosting and the star tip, add individual stars randomly between and below the squiggly lines; lightly press a pink sugar pearl into the center of each star.