11 Important Safety Rules:
It only takes a few moments for a child to grab and swallow something that could be poisonous. Here's how to reduce the risk of poisoning and keep your children safe:
1. Keep harmful products out of your child's view and reach.
2. Never leave products under the sink where children can crawl to get them.
3. Never leave products out on a counter where a child can climb and reach them.
4. Lock up all potentially dangerous products--preferably in a high cabinet.
5. Always buy medicine and household products in childproof packaging when available. And remember to always replace the childproof lids right after use.
6. Always keep products in their original containers or bottles. Storing cleaning products in juice or soda bottles makes it even more enticing to a toddler who may think it is their favorite drink. It also makes it difficult to know what chemicals were ingested in the event of poisonings, which can cause delays in treatment.
7. Do not call medicine "candy." Doing so may encourage a child to sneak some while no one is looking.
8. Discard all old and unused medications.
9. Keep the phone numbers of your local poison control center or the new national Poison Control Center hotline (1-800-222-1222), as well as your pediatrician's number by the phone for easy access in case of emergency.
10. Keep a bottle of syrup of ipecac (which induces vomiting) in your home, but don't use it until you consult with a physician or poison center. Some poisons can cause more harm if vomiting is induced.
11. Educate your children's caretakers about prevention and procedures in case of an accidental poisoning.