If you find your child with an open container and fear that he or she ingested something poisonous, here is what to do:
1. Remain calm.
2. Immediately call a poison control center in your area, or the national Poison Control Center hotline at 1-800-222-1222.
3. Be prepared to give all the facts, such as your child's weight, the exact name of the product, approximate quantity ingested and the time the accident occurred.
4. Follow the exact advice from the Poison Control Center. (Do not give your child syrup of ipecac unless instructed to do so.) For certain poisons it may be necessary to call 911 or go directly to an Emergency Room. Remember to always bring the container of whatever was ingested with you.