Help! I have family visiting until New Year's Day. What can I serve them in the morning that will keep me out of the kitchen? --tami416
The key is to have dishes that can be prepared ahead of time. Here are five quick ideas for stressless mornings:
• Egg breakfast bake dishes: These wonderful recipes are layered egg and bread dishes made the night before, refrigerated, and popped in a cold oven and baked for a hot breakfast.
• Quick breads: Make a variety of loaves ahead, wrap in foil and put in resealable plastic bags, and throw in the freezer.
• Hot fruit compote: Canned fruit baked with a brown sugar mixture. Prepare the night before, refrigerate, and bake by popping into a cold oven. Serve with pastries or breads of your choice.
• Fresh fruit, from the salad bar or already cut up at your local grocery. Serve with muffins. Buy muffins or make a batter, such as for bran muffins, that can be stored in the refrigerator to bake quickly that morning.
• Coffee cakes, snack cakes, or Bundt cakes: They freeze well. Make them ahead of time, freeze, and pull out the day before. Place in oven at 300 degrees until warm.
Happy New Year everyone!
Holly B. Clegg is the author of the Trim & Terrific cookbook series.