The cute guy in the corner office wants to join you for an after-work drink. Quick, what do you do?
If you're like most women, you dive for your makeup. Freshen the lipstick, add a little blush and throw on some eye shadow for a subtle smoky effect. Go one button lower on the blouse, take off that fitted jacket, spritz on a little perfume and you're ready to go, aren't you?
Not so fast, says Katya Ozeryan, a hairstylist at Santa Cruz Salon in New York City. "Hair is the sexiest accessory any woman has," she says. "If your hair doesn't look sexy, chances are you won't either."
Katya recommends five tried-and-true methods to get sexy hair.
- Add shine. This works especially well for girls with short hair, she says. A little pomade cream (pick one that's not oily) on both hands and then lightly rubbed onto hair creates instant sheen and texture. Katya favors Sebastian Crude Clay for short, sexy hair. It gives hold and definition but looks completely natural.
- Flip it. This technique works great with medium-length haircuts like a long bob, says Katya. Add a little depth by brushing up the ends to create a flip. A dab of styling gel will hold it. Don't go crazy, Katya cautions, or you'll get a Marcia Brady flip (definitely not sexy). But coaxing just sections of your hair — in the back and on the sides — into a new direction will break up the uniformity of your style, giving you a suddenly modern and fresh appearance.
- Create some curls. Long, wavy hair is still very in, Katya says, and very sexy. If you've got the length, she recommends investing in a couple of sponge rollers. She carries hers in her bag — they're small and light and can be rolled into the ends of your hair in just seconds. Hit them with a little hairspray and let them set while you do your makeup. Ten minutes later, you'll walk out the door with relaxed, natural, sexy waves.
- Sweep it up. A classic, romantic look that can be achieved with almost any length of hair, the upsweep — offset by a few loose tendrils around the face — adds instant sex appeal. With a pretty clip or a couple of hairpins that match your hair color, you can change your look in a second. Pull your hair back, twist it and fasten. Smooth the sides with a little hairspray, and then pull out a few wispy tendrils around your face. If they aren't naturally curly, wrap them around a pencil for a few seconds. Believe it or not, the curls will hold.
- Go to the side. Katya's ultimate recommendation for a superfast sexy hair look? "Nothing adds a hint of 'bad girl' faster than a side part," she says. "Give your hair a quick brush, part it, spray it and go."