Here's a fashion conundrum that we have all faced at some point or another. How do you wear something from last year that doesn't scream, "That's so last year"? We all get sucked into at least one trend per season that we end up spending more on than we should have, and then poof! the trend has vanished and we are stuck with a very distinct and very costly souvenir of the season. But you don't have to take last fall's trends to the consignment shop just yet '- here's how you can recycle last season's must-haves.
By now, most of you have a drawer full of brooches from last fall. Big ones, small ones, sparkly ones, colorful ones. But don't despair. While you may be very busy buying this season's layered necklaces, you can still dust off your brooches and put them to good use. Here's how:
- Wear one on a chic clutch bag for the look of an elegant clasp.
- Pin them on strappy sandals for an evening affair.
- Wear them in your hair to add pizzazz to an up-do.
- It's all about fur this season '- wear one on a mink stole or jacket.
- Pin them on the straps of a dress or at the crossing point of a wrap dress or top
Cords were a big trend last season. Jackets, pants, bags '- you name it. While velvet has replaced corduroy this year in a big way, think twice before you hand your cords over to your cousin, sister, baby-sitter or next-door neighbor. You should have no problem working them into this season's trendiest trends:
- Go west: Wear corduroy trousers with this year's cowboy boots, saddle bags and chunky belts. Throw some turquoise into the mix for a sexy Santa Fe look.
- Wear a corduroy skirt or trousers with this season's ruffle blouse.
- Take your corduroy jeans and see if your tailor can taper the leg for the drainpipe skinny leg that's so hot for fall.
What to do with your cheetahs and leopards and tigers from last season. Don't worry if you went a little ape over animal print accessories. While they aren't entirely "out" this season, crocodile seems to be the newest beast on the block. Here's how to wear your fuzzy finds from last fall:
- Since black is back for fall, give your dark ensemble a little punch and wear some animal print shoes or a belt with it.
- Or, if you are really over the print, you can always dye your shoes or bags all black.
- Wear your print belts over this season's long cardigan.
You bought at least one pair of those tweed knee-length trousers didn't you? We thought they were adorable too. And they still are. You just need to rework them a little so they blend into this season's look.
- It's all about ladylike suiting this season. Instead of pairing a fitted jacket with a pencil skirt, create your own demure suit and pair it with your cropped pants.
- Wear your must-have lace-up boots with your cropped clothing and a fashionable slouchy sweater. Belt the sweater for a really hip look.
- Pair your pants with a ruffle blouse and layered necklaces.
You just can't give up your Uggs, can you? It's okay '- they are comfy, cozy and warm. But the clothing you should never have worn with your fuzzy friends you still can't wear. These are not dressy boots. Never were, never will be.
- Save them for weekend wear. This season's skinny leg jeans will tuck perfectly into them for your weekend jaunt to get your coffee (and maybe a doughnut too).
- If you love your Uggs, you might as well get this season's Ugg shearling bag. On those blizzardy days when nothing else will do, at least you'll look put-together with the bag and boots.
For more, check out Your Life Recycled.