To prevent ringworm of the scalp or beard:
- Keep your skin clean and dry.
- Do not share hats, combs, or brushes with others. Children should use their own combs and brushes and should not share with other family members.
- Shampoo once a month with a shampoo that contains selenium sulfide (such as Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment) if you or a family member has had ringworm of the scalp recently.
- Don't play with animals (including dogs and cats) that have bald or mangy spots on their coats, which may be caused by fungal infection. A veterinarian can tell what is causing a pet's skin problem and can recommend treatment.
- Use hot, soapy water to clean toys, telephones, furniture, and other items that may have fungi on them.
- Wash your clothes, towels, and bed sheets in hot, soapy water. Do not share towels.