Photo Credit: Getty Images
- Have you babyproofed all kitchen cabinets?
- Have you installed stove guards and knob covers on the oven?
- Have you removed poisonous substances from low-level areas that are easily accessible to tots?
- Do you know that drain cleaning solution and dishwasher detergent are the two most poisonous household cleaners?
- Do you keep all poisonous items in their original containers to avoid improper use and to provide easy access to manufacturer's safety advice?
- Are you careful to store poisons away from food?
- When the high chair is in use, do you always stay in the same room? Do you use its safety strap consistently?
- Have you removed any refrigerator magnets that can fit into small mouths?
- Are you careful to not dispose of plastic bags, matches, razors and/or poisons in a kitchen trash bin that could be accessible by small children?
- Are all appliance cords located away from the edge of counters?
- Do you avoid heating bottles in the microwave? Uneven heating could cause hot spots, resulting in burns.
- Have you left one drawer, containing plastic ware and large wooden spoons, unlocked to entertain baby and keep him away from trying to explore off-limit areas?
Talk with Other Parents: