Jennifer Love Hewitt recently got a lot of heat for mimicking Sarah Palin's infamous updo at the Emmy Awards this year. Is it chic? It's your call.
If you want to get the look, we've got you covered. Tomo, a hairstylist at the Jim Wayne Salon in Beverly Hills, details how to create the Palin updo:
1. It's best to start with dirty hair for this look. Hair can be curly or straight; however, if your hair is long (as in, past shoulder length), you will want to prep by curling hair from mid-shaft to the end with a curling iron.
2. Divide your hair into two sections: a front section and a back section.
3. Next, divide the front section into two sections: one section comprised of your bangs (if you have them) and the second section comprised of the rest of your hair.
4. Using an elastic band, pull the back section into a high ponytail. As you are doing that, be sure to keep your head upright—do not tilt it to the front or back. Also, if you have longer hair, you can use pins to create a bun instead so that the hair doesn't hang low.
5. Back-comb or tease the entire front section of hair (excluding the bangs). Then, divide that section into three individual sections: a left section, a top section and a right section.
6. Take the top section and pin it back to where the ponytail is, then do the same with the side sections. When you are pinning back the side sections, you can twist them towards where the ponytail is.
7. Finish by spraying hair with hairspray, like Bumble and bumble's Spray de Mode. You can also put a little Bumble & bumble Brilliantine on your hands and run it over the surface of the hair to eliminate frizz.