Photo Credit: Getty Images
What constitutes a safe sleep environment for babies?
7 Safe Sleep Recommendations
(Whether or Not You Share Sleep with Your Baby)
1. Infants should sleep on firm clean surfaces, in the absence of smoke, under light (comfortable) blanketing. Their heads should never be covered.
2. Whether your baby sleeps in a crib or in the parental bed, the mattress should be firm, and it should fit tightly against the headboard so that an infant cannot fall into a ledge face down and smother.
3. The bed should not have any stuffed animals or pillows around the infant.
4. An infant should never be placed to sleep on top of a pillow.
5. Sheepskins or other fluffy material, and especially bean bag mattresses, should never be used.
6. Water beds can be dangerous. The mattress should always tightly fit within the bed frame.
7. Infants should never sleep on couches or sofas, with or without adults. They can slip down into the crevices or get wedged against the back of a couch.