Photo Credit: Patrick Wymore/ABC
Update: Your iVillage Flash Poll results are in! After tallying your answers to the question "Should Sandra Bullock Forgive Jesse James?" we can report that 63 percent of readers agree that James' offenses don't deserve Bullock's pardon -- public apology or not! Here's hoping the other 37 percent just want Sandy to forgive and forget and aren't holding out for a reunion. Keep chiming in below with your opinions, no matter which side you're on!
Will the self-proclaimed "most hated man in the world" ever be able to get back into anyone's good graces? Whether to elicit sympathy from Nightline viewers or Sandra Bullock herself, Jesse James seems intent on letting the world know he's one seriously remorseful guy.
We've already heard some of what James, 41, had to say to Nightline's Vicki Mabrey (in his interview scheduled to air Tuesday on ABC at 11:35 p.m. ET). And in footage previewed on today's Good Morning America, there were more explanations and pleas for forgiveness.
"I told her (Bullock) basically everything," James tells Mabrey. "That I had affairs outside of our marriage." When asked if he thought Bullock was blindsided by the news, he admits, "I think she had her suspicions in the past." He goes on to say, "I lied to everyone about everything...even to myself."
James goes so far as to get teary-eyed during his segment. Mabrey told GMA viewers that James became so upset recalling why he cheated on his wife, and painful childhood memories, that he had to walk out for a break.
The tattooed bad boy also delves into his decision to enter rehab, where he says he told Bullock he was "going to get some help" and asked his Oscar-winning wife if she would take care of his daughter, 6-year-old Sunny -- a request which the doting stepmom, of course, obliged. James tells Mabrey that Bullock "told me she was proud of me" for entering rehab.
In discussing family matters, James reflects on the adoption of Bullock's son Louis Bardo. The couple, who waited four years for a child to adopt, intended to raise him together, but since the scandal broke, Bullock has decided to file for divorce and raise her young son as a single parent. Bullock broke the news to the world in People magazine, and James realized he'd have no part of the parenting, telling Mabrey, "It made me sad, but I realized why things have to be done in a certain way."
Perhaps the moment that may give James the most, if any, redemption is when he talks about Bullock's parenting skills, especially with Louis. "To see her in the role of mother is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen," he says, adding watching her transition to motherhood was like "a fish to water," it was "automatic and amazing."
One of the more telling things to come out of the Nightline previews was James' admission that the reason he was really wanting to clear the air on the show was because of those shocking Nazi photos that surfaced. James said besides being known as a cheater it was "embarrassing to be called a racist on top of that." He claimed seeing the photos and the way he looked in them "makes me really sad."
He goes on to say that posing for a picture in Nazi regalia was "funny then, probably for a minute," but "looking at it now in context" it isn't so funny anymore.
While Jesse James certainly has a lot to say, so have you. Check out what fellow iVillage readers have had to say recently about James' infidelity and his wish for Bullock to forgive him. And don't forget to vote in the poll above! Tell us what you really think!
"I think everyone deserves a second chance." - kemmy
"He knew he could be caught and that the fallout could be devastating; he didn't consider Sandra." - Jackie
"Sandra should do what her heart tells her to do and not let anyone else tell [her] what to do." - Debbie
"When you get involved with the 'bad boy' you really shouldn't be surprised that he is in fact... bad!" - Anonymous
"I think they should try and work things out and give what they once had a chance again." -Sac
"I think she needs to take time out and see how she feels about things later. I believe this marriage can and should be saved." - Judy
"Anyone is capable of an infidelity during a vulnerable period. I think that counseling could have been tried before filing for a divorce." - Karen
Do you think Sandra Bullock should forgive Jesse James? Chime in below!