The Smart Divorce: Expert Advice You Need Now

CL-mizlizzy: I have $7,000 and a lot of time invested in this one.
thesmartdivorce: If your lawyer doesn't respond to the telephone, try faxing a clear message that asks for a clear response. In our book The Smart Divorce, we talk in chapter three about what are reasonable expectations from your attorney. Take a look at that. Ask questions. Don't be shy.
CL-mizlizzy: What do you recommend for people who live in small towns with "good ol' boy" legal systems? Grin and bear it? What can we do, whom do we contact?
susanterry: Get a lawyer who is one of the good ol' boys. That is absolutely the right way to win.
CL-mizlizzy: I have a protective order that has not been enforced, a call for domestic violence that was ignored and a burglary that has not been investigated -- my ex is buds with the sheriffs.
susanterry: Are you suggesting that the cops are in cahoots with your ex?
thesmartdivorce: If you continue to have a local problem, call the U.S. Attorney! (They are federal.)
susanterry: How about your local newspaper? You can shame them.
thesmartdivorce: Call everyone and put it in the local newspaper if that's what it takes!
susanterry: Pointers: The system, as some of you have found, is less than perfect. You need to get educated, read books and to get a lawyer. Don't be afraid to assert your rights; take all action that is necessary. If something isn't going right, challenge it and look elsewhere. This is important. Pointer: Child support can be collected many ways: wage assignments, executing on bank accounts or through the DA at no expense.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web