Who wants to cook an involved meal the night before Thanksgiving? This fun and tasty pasta entree will have you out of the kitchen in just about no time.
Credit: Almost Vegetarian Entertaining by Diana Shaw
Servings: 2 to 3
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk (nonfat, low-fat or regular)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cheese (Parmesan, cheddar or Romano)
- 10 ounces spaghetti, or any pasta (such as penne rigate, farfalle or fusilli)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional ingredients (mix and match to taste)
- 1/4 cup minced smoked salmon
- 1/3 cup minced tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/4 cup minced scallion or mild onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mixed herbs such as parsley, basil, chives, cilantro and oregano
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a medium-size mixing bowl and beat with a fork. Add the milk and cheese and beat again. Add any of the optional ingredients you'd like and beat again.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Swiftly drain the pasta in a colander. While the pasta is in the colander, put the saucepan back onto the stove and add the olive oil or butter. Toss the pasta back into the pot and add the egg mixture. Turn the heat on as low as it goes, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the pasta is coated with a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
It's time to grate some cheese! Shop for a cheese grater.
Serve This Dish With: