Pregnancy journal: Spotting in week fifteen

I feel like I should begin this tale with the classic line "When we last saw Deb she was installing an oil furnace …" It's as though I've been living a TV show this past week. The furnace was installed at the end of last week and early this week. Then, Rob and I dove headfirst into the world of happy home ownership by attempting to complete the list of repairs the bank has requested. Somehow we learned how to re-attach and fix vinyl siding, how to measure for, fix and install screen doors on patio sliders, and how to remove, and re-install a leaking pane of a thermal bay window. Truthfully, all went well. Rob climbed all the necessary ladders. Ordinarily I'd have wanted to help with the repairs too. Our only dilemma was how to remove a brittle old window from its frame. Unfortunately it broke. But, it was destined for a garbage can anyway, so one mistake wasn't too bad. We did re-install the newly ordered pane without much ado. We then proceeded to make our first decorating decisions by picking new paint colors for every room of the house.

I feel like I'm living someone else's life. Two short months ago we had no intention of purchasing a home. We didn't even think that any bank would take a second look at us. Now, here we stand, making our first repairs -- on a home that's not yet ours. We're facing the opportunity to move Jacob and our new baby out of our current small city, back to the country-life we knew as kids. It's so rewarding to watch Jacob's face light up every time we make that drive. As he sees the new house he starts squealing in his car seat and talking about the birds, crickets, grass, flowers, trees … all the things we remember and have missed living in our current city.


Just as Rob and I were becoming content with our decision and the knowledge that we'd close on the house on Wednesday of next week, we received several pieces of unsettling news. Rob had to take off work to help resolve these issues before we could settle. We planned a fairly relaxing day that included some packing, dinner, a rented movie and hopefully, Jacob going to sleep early. We no sooner arrived home than I made a beeline for the bathroom, as any pregnant woman who had been stranded at a vacant house for six hours would do. That's when my real worries began … I saw blood. I immediately kicked my husband off the phone and called the doctor's office. Twenty very stressful minutes later one of the midwives called me back. Fortunately, she determined that the baby was not in any immediate distress, but invited me to come in right away for a quick fetal heart check; an invitation I gratefully accepted.

Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web