2. Stampede to the bedroom shouting, "You are such a pig! Where were you raised, in a barn?"
Open Warfare Fight Traps: Character Assassination, Name Calling
3. Enter the bedroom and say, "Not only do you forget to put the seat down, you leave your laundry on the floor, you forget to call me when you're going to be late ..."
Open Warfare Fight Trap: Kitchen Sinking (throwing everything that's bugging you into one discussion)
4. Tell him, "For 10 years, I've been telling you to put the seat down after you pee, which reminds me of the time you ..."
Open Warfare Fight Trap: Ancient History
5. Tell him, "This is the tenth time this month that I've had to remind you to put the seat down."
Open Warfare Fight Trap: Score Keeping
6. Say to him, "Since you can't remember to put the seat up, I'm calling Dr. Smith to have you checked for Alzheimer's."
Open Warfare Fight Traps: Dirty Pool, Hitting below the Belt
7. Say, "You're always forgetting to do what I ask. You never respond to me.
Open Warfare Fight Trap: Globalizing
8. Say, "You never have to remind me to make your dinner, yet you forget to put the seat down."
Open Warfare Fight Trap: I'm Right/You're Wrong
9. Tell him, "I'm sick and tired of telling you to put the seat down," to which he replies, "You should talk, you never remember to bring my shirts to the laundry."
Open Warfare Fight Trap: Blame Game, Counterattacking
No matter which of the above Open Warfare Fight Traps you and your mate use, you lose. No conflict resolution can occur as long as Fight Traps are on the scene. Identifying your Fight Traps is the first step toward eliminating them.