There's something about January that almost begs us to buy something. Maybe we've got a case of the midwinter, postholiday or resolution-breaking blues. Whatever the problem, we say a pick-me-up is in order. And what better way to pick up than to put down for a great new beauty product? This month, we've found excellent solutions to nagging beauty problems as well as a few pure indulgences. Here are some of our favorite products in stores now:
- Help for limp hair. Finally, a hair-care line that promises the ever-elusive "body" and delivers it. Redken calls its new line Body Full Anti-Gravity Volume for Normal/Fine Hair. And the name is apt. This regimen, including shampoo, conditioner, a root-lifting styling treatment and leave-in thickening gel, adds bounce and shine, and it smells great too. Call 800-REDKEN8 or log on to Redken.com to find a retailer near you.
- Makeup for psoriasis. If you have a skin condition like psoriasis, you know how hard it is to find makeup that doesn't make it worse. Introducing Affirm, a company that makes makeup that not only corrects skin color problems and provides good coverage, but also doesn't aggravate your skin. In fact, it contains ingredients to help improve it. Better still, the product is so light, you hardly know you have it on. It's makeup that breathes. For more info, call 877-771-2112 or go to AffirmFoundation.com.
- Concealer that treats zits. On the subject of makeup that treats skin, Physicians Formula, the leader in color correction, has introduced a concealer that contains salicylic acid. So when you covering that pimple, you're treating it too. It's available in color-corrective green, light beige and warm beige. Call 800-227-0333 or go to PhysiciansFormula.com to find retailers.
- The perfect day cream. When you want high-tech skin care, you head for the Clinique counter. And we felt lucky to find this new Superdefense Triple Action Moisturizer with SPF 25. This product combines great sun protection with state-of-the-art moisturizing, and it's very light and comfortable on the skin. Different formulas allow you to get just the right amount of moisture for normal-to-oily, normal-to-dry or very dry skin. Plus, it's allergy-tested and fragrance-free, of course, because it's Clinique. You'll find it at Clinique counters at department stores and Clinique.com.
- Cure for winter toe syndrome. This would be the syndrome that afflicts toes that spend most of their days in socks. If your toes enter the realm of the sad and unkempt once sock season hits, you need Creative Nail Design's Raw Earth SpaPedicure kit. The set includes a fizzing soak, foot scrub, foot mask (our favorite) and foot rub, all of which contain essential oils and other natural ingredients. This kit is a real treat for ignored tootsies. Call 800-833-6245 or go to CreativeNailDesign.com to find retail locations.
- Environmental pollution fighter. Avon has introduced a new face cream to its Anew line. Retroactive+ Day Defense SPF 15 was formulated to be used in tandem with its night repair cream. It contains deep-sea marine extracts and a bunch of antioxidants. Plus, it's oil-free and perfect for all skin types. You can order it by phone at 800-FOR-AVON or online at Avon.com.
- Lipstick for hair. With L'Oréal's new Color Pulse Concentrated Color Mousse, you can change your hair color daily '- for under $6. It won't lighten hair but will add a "pulse" of color to revive and brighten what you have. Or go for a more vibrant look with shades like Chilled Plum, Funky Cherry and Red Pulse. Other colors we love: Hot Mahogany, Cool Blonde and Electric Black. The mousse is available in chain food and drugstores. Check out LOrealParis.com for more information.
- Luxury body smoother. Here's a product we wish we could bathe in. Lancôme's Absolue Body Replenishing Cream is toning and intensely moisturizing, like the label says. The sumptuous cream contains antioxidants and hydrating ingredients that are released over 24 hours. Massage it all over your body after bathing, and you'll feel as soft as a baby's bottom '- but way sexier. Get it at Lancôme counters in department stores or online at Lancôme.com.
- Yummy egg and honey treatment. We're always drawn to beauty products that sound (or smell) like we could actually eat them. Joey New York Egg Cream Instant Face Lifting Treatment is so called because it contains egg and honey. Touted for firming the skin, it's great for the jawline and decollete. You can find it at Sephora and Bath & Body Works stores as well as Sephora.com.
- Seeds of love. The Body Shop has always wowed us with its amazing body butters. This month, look for body butter, lip butter, shower gel and soap in the all-new, delectable, fruity fragrance of passion fruit. (The scrumptious scent also comes in a dry oil mist.) Buy one for yourself and a friend. Just because. It's available at The Body Shop stores and TheBodyShop.com.