California exports these sweet berries all year long, but everyone knows the best strawberries are the ones harvested locally for a few short weeks in late spring and early summer.
WHEN TO BUY
April through August
Serving: 8 berries
Fiber: 3 grams
Fat: 0.2 gram
Protein: 1.6 grams
A good source of: Vitamin C
HOW TO CHOOSE
Look for berries that
- Have a strong, sweet aroma.
- Have a deep, even color -- no light green showing through.
- Are free of dark bruises or white or gray fuzz (that is mold).
HOW TO STORE
Use them right after you buy or pick them, or refrigerate no more than 2 days.
HOW TO PREPARE
- Wash only just before you plan to eat them. Washing berries does rinse away some flavor but is very important for removing pesticides.
- Sprinkle bland berries with fine granulated sugar to bring out the flavor.