Many times girls are told to just ignore a bully. True enough, sometimes ignoring works. Other times, it doesn't, and the bullying continues. Ignoring works best if you follow these tips
Think fast. If ignoring is going to work, it will work fast. If you have tried ignoring and the bullying continues for several days or more, chances are it's not going to work. You need a new plan.
Look the part. When you are ignoring a bully, do your best to look bored or annoyed -not scared and especially not hurt. The bully is trying to upset you. Don't show that you're upset. Practice your best bored face at home, in front of a mirror.
Assess your stress. Are you thinking about the bullying all the time? If ignoring a bully is affecting your happiness most days, causing you to feel sad or worried, it's not worth it. Remember you're not in the wrong here, and it's absolutely O.K. to stand up for yourself. Ignoring a bully is one option, but there are many others you can try.
Words That Work
Need inspiration to speak up? Try these tips from girls like you.
- I say, "Oh, well!" If that's the way they want to be, let them be that way. It's their problem.
- I just say, "Thanks, but I'm good," and then I walk away.
- I tell them, "Right back 'atcha!" and get away from them.
- Whenever someone says something mean to me, I just say, "Are you having a bad day?" That person really must be having a bad day to say something so mean to someone who hasn't done anything to her.
- If someone insults what I'm wearing, just say, "FYI, it's a free country!"