Is there a way to reduce unsightliness of stretch marks?

My weight gain during pregnancy has been consistent, but centered around the abdominal area. As a result, some stretch marks have appeared. As I expect to get back to my pre-pregnancy shape (with lots of exercise and hard work), is there any way to reduce the "unsightliness" of stretch marks, to the point of being able to wear a bikini again? I've heard Retin-A can help.


Peg Plumbo CNM

Peg Plumbo has been a certified nurse-midwife (CNM) since 1976. She has assisted at over 1,000 births and currently teaches in the... Read more

You are correct that recently results have shown that Retin-A can help stretch marks shrink somewhat. Although the cream should not be used in pregnancy, ask about this at your postpartum visit. A dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon would be a good resource for you.

A product known as B2 Actigen, available at health food stores, has also gotten some press over the past few years as a treatment for stretch marks.

Need Advice?
Get answers from iVillage experts and other moms just like you!
Question Details
  1. Pick a subject:
Connect with 1,039,394 members just like you
Share your knowledge, ask questions.