When it comes to cellulite, don't expect miracles. But by combining good eating and exercise habits with stress reduction and occasional spa treatments, smoother body skin can result. An increase in circulation through massage definitely provides an assist. Endermologie also exfoliates the skin, leaving it soft and silky. The increased circulation also gives you a natural energy boost.
The key to preventing and fighting cellulite is to purify the body with a combination of exercise, a healthy diet, tension reduction and proper circulation.
- A detoxifying diet is a great way to start fighting cellulite. This means lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods. It also means eliminating coffee, soda, smoking and alcohol from your life. A low-fat diet, high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, is important because these foods are easiest for the body to break down, use and get rid of. Sugar, starch, salt, spices and animal fats are harder for the body to eliminate. A low-fat diet reduces toxins and assists in getting rid of the toxins trapped in the tissue. Drink plenty of water -- up to two liters a day -- to assist your body in getting rid of unwanted toxins and waste.
- Exercise is extremely important in aiding proper circulation. It firms muscles and the tissue surrounding the muscles.
- Massage not only pampers, it also assists in fighting and preventing cellulite. Massage helps restore the body's natural tendencies by manipulating the muscles, and stimulating the circulatory and lymphatic systems that break down fatty tissue. Massage targets areas that are difficult to stimulate with good old exercise (such as the inner knee and upper thigh areas). Try simply massaging each leg in circular movements, kneading the flesh as you go, for a couple of minutes each day to break down fat and get rid of toxins.
- Skin brushing using a massage brush or glove for a couple of minutes boosts circulation. Start at the feet, brushing the skin in an upward movement. Doing this daily before your shower helps revitalize and improve the skin's appearance. iVillage Beauty member Sandra Harris also recommends a product called Lipofactor, a firming product applied to the skin. "This is the first product that has actually worked. It has significantly decreased the look of cellulite."
- Tension not only stresses the muscles, it also causes the connective tissue that covers the muscles to seize up. Tension blocks the tissue, preventing good waste elimination. Relaxation and breathing help the body relax and work properly. Proper breathing eases tension, oxygenates the body and helps with purification.
Hear what other iVillage Beauty users are saying about the fight against cellulite by visiting our Cellulite and Hair Removal message board.