A vest is the kind of item that always looks good on someone else, right? Someone like Kate Moss, Diane Keaton à la Annie Hall or your kooky downtown friend. Well, with the menswear vest emerging as a major trend this season, it's time to consider that this is a look you can own. Here's how to wear one right:
Sexy? A vest? While most people consider it a stuffy menswear staple, the vest can have some sex appeal when worn properly. Spend some time trying out some of these looks and see which one works best for you:
- Layer a tight tee or a flirty camisole underneath and pair it with ultraskinny jeans or a curve-hugging skirt.
- For an evening out, a plush velvet vest worn on its own with jeans or dressy trousers makes a sexy statement.
Add some style to the boredroom... we mean boardroom, by wearing a vest to the office. It has the polish of a blazer but with a little more pizzazz.
- Layer one over a V-neck sweater and crisp white shirt. Don't forget to accessorize with chic tweed shoes and layered gold necklaces.
- Wear one over a tight turtleneck and pair with a pencil skirt and high heels, slingbacks or boots.
We love the look of boy meets girl, and nothing lends itself better to this concept than a menswear-inspired vest worn with flirty or romantic pieces. Look for fitted vests to accomplish this look, like the Elie Tahari stretch wool vest pictured above ($198). Available at SaksFifthAvenue.com.
- Layer one over a frilly or billowy sleeved blouse. Pair with anything from jeans and kitten heels to wide-leg trousers and stilettos.
- Wear one over a chiffon dress and stiletto boots or pair one with a full skirt and flats.
A vest can also be quirky yet stylish. Pairing it with the unexpected can sometimes result in a cool and funky look. Experiment with fun pieces that are already in your closet... unless you're looking for an excuse to go shopping.
- Wear one over a rock-and-roll T-shirt and distressed jeans. Stacked heel boots add the finishing touch.
- Pair one with gauchos and boots or opaque tights and heels.