Another fall season's here, and it brings with it a surplus of smart and sexy styles. Fall is flush with lavish fabrics and feminine looks that make over-the-top glamour easy to wear. While some of the sumptuous trends call for a bit of an investment, many flattering looks will be easy to capture with one simple purchase. It's all up to you and how dazzlingly decadent or subtly sophisticated you want to appear. Here's a quick breakdown of the season's hottest looks.
Romance is in the air
Ah, romance. For fall, it comes in the form of ruffles, poet sleeves, corset lacing and high collars. There's an old-world charm to this revisited style, which is demure yet not prim and proper. Delicately frayed shirts, skirts and dresses are formfitting and highlight the womanly curves we've been blessed with. It's a dramatic shift from the hard-core sexiness of seasons past '- but sometimes it's what's left up to the imagination that is so provocative. You'll have a love affair with the romantic selection at Anthropologie.com.
- Edwardian-style blouse. This season's white shirt is anything but basic. Pair it with sexy skinny-leg drainpipe pants or with a voluminous knee-length skirt.
- Flirty, feminine dress. Find one with ruffles or tiers at the bottom for a touch of Victorian charm.
Join forces with the military look
The military trend has taken the fashion world by storm. Luckily, that doesn't mean camouflage has resurfaced. The look is driven more by military detailing: Think admirals' jackets with brass buttons, long belted coats with epaulets and martial accents. For an unexpected twist, pair these tailored items with the softer silhouettes that also top the must-have list for the season. Shop for your military garb now at Bebe.com before it becomes missing in action.
- Waist-defining military jacket. Pair your salute with cute by donning this jacket with a flouncy and feminine skirt.
- Long belted officer's coat with wide lapels. Wear lace-up boots and skinny pants with this attention-grabbing outerwear. That's an order!
A nod to mod
Fashion has gone stark raving mod for fall. This season, women will be feeling groovy while channeling their inner Edie Sedgwick in graphic black-and-white prints, flat crocodile boots and A-line dresses and coats with high hemlines. This isn't your routine retro trend, though; designers have revived this look with interesting details such as silvery shine and futuristic fabrics. A little mod goes a long way, so unless you want a role in the next Austin Powers movie, limit yourself to wearing one item at a time. Go to SaksFifthAvenue.com for chic '60s pieces like the above Marc by Marc Jacobs coat.
- Color-block A-line dress or skirt. Pair it with knee-high boots or square-toe flats. Don't forget the mascara and clear lip gloss for the full effect.
- High-waisted toggle coat. Accessorize with a slender clutch and flat, knee-length boots.
Boho a go-go
For those of you who thought boho would be a no-show for fall, think again. This time, though, it's all about rich-looking prints and heavier fabrics. Boho icon Sienna Miller has traded in her floppy hats and lightweight tunics for jersey dresses, fitted blouses and fuzzy vests. It's a more girly bohemian rhapsody than before. This trend in particular fits into the current approach of mixing and matching fabrics, textures and colors for a cozy yet sophisticated vibe. For easy-on-eyes and easy-on-the-body pieces that will likely become your fall favorites, check out DianevonFurstenberg.com
- Print dress. This is the quintessential boho piece for fall. Wear it with lace-front boots and layered necklaces and bangles.
- Slim-fit vest. Whether it's raw-edge fur or a shrunken knit, a versatile vest works well over puffed-sleeve blouses and thin Henleys for a layered look.
Black makes a comeback
Black? As a trend? Yup '- and it's a big one too. The past few seasons have been all about color, but for autumn, black's back '- in a more feminine and attention-getting way. Cocktail-length organza dresses, soft and touchable knits, sexy suits, jet beads... It's good to have the dark hue around again, isn't it? Reacquaint yourself with your former favorite color by checking out ElieTahari.com.
- The little black dress '- a timeless essential. But this fall's is a far cry from the basic black sheath dress you used to rely on for last-minute invitations. Look for it in velvet or chiffon, adorned with feathers, fur or beading.
- Black coat. Fall outerwear has taken a toned-down turn in terms of color. But that doesn't mean the coats are boring. You'll see lush velvet, bows, rosettes and beading. Even a black trench will make a fashion statement this season.