- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 lbs)
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped red onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp each minced fresh basil leaves, fresh oregano leaves, and fresh rosemary,
- or 1-1/2 tsp each dried
- 1 jar (26 oz) your favorite tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup canned chickpeas or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago, Romano, or Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in a large (14-inch), deep, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs. Cook until chicken is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
Add onions and garlic to the same skillet. Cook and stir until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 6 more minutes. Stir in chopped herbs and cook for 1 more minute.
Add pasta sauce, wine, chickpeas, and black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return chicken pieces to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes (this will help sauce to thicken). Remove from heat and, if you have the patience, let dish stand, uncovered, for another 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Serve in shallow bowls, topped with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
Makes 6 Servings
PER SERVING: 377 calories, 10.8 g total fat (2.9 g saturated fat), 41 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 142 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium.
From Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski