Two People Die After Using Tap Water in Neti Pot

Tap water should not be used in Neti pots, Louisiana officials warned after investigating two deadly infections.

A 20-year-old man and a 51-year-old woman died from Naegleria fowleri infections after using Neti pots containing tap water to flush their sinuses, ABC News reported.

Naegleria fowleri, a parasite sometimes called the brain-eating amoeba, causes a brain infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. Without treatment, the infection can cause death within one to 12 days.

"If you are irrigating, flushing or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a Neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution," Louisiana State epidemiologist Dr. Raoult Ratard said in a statement, ABC News reported. "Tap water is safe for drinking but not for irrigating your nose."

FILED UNDER:
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow http://t.co/wfewf

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web