Photo Credit: Mary Ellen Matthews/NBC
30 Rock is the semi-autobiographical tale of a former Saturday Night Live head writer named Tina Fey who left the late-night skit show to pursue other career opportunities. The protagonist of the comedy series -- which returns for its fourth season on NBC tonight at 9:30 p.m. -- walks, talks and, of course, looks like its creator.
But 30 Rock takes creative license with Tina's life (and the people in it) and runs buck wild to create some of the most hilarious moments in recent TV history. How much does Liz Lemon, Tina Fey's 30 Rock counterpart, really have in common with her real-life persona? Let us count the ways.
1. Not Like Liz: Tina Fey has become a thinking man's sex-symbol, even though on Wednesday night's Late Show, she told David Letterman she "couldn't give away" her virginity until age 24. Apart from a few brief flings (including one last season with Mad Men star, Jon Hamm), Liz Lemon's sex life has verged on born-again virginity.
2. Like Liz: Liz Lemon is a workaholic whose life revolves around her job. Tina Fey is a workaholic whose life revolves primarily around her job, but not at the expense of having a family.
3. Not Like Liz: Tina Fey is a married mother of 4-year-old Alice Zenobia. She has been with her husband, Jeff Richmond, for 15 years (including their seven years of premarital courtship). Liz is an unmarried woman with aspirations to matrimony and motherhood, but despite many dates and even an attempt at adoption, she has not yet achieved either.
4. Not Like Liz: Aided and abetted by her ratings-hungry boss, Jack Donaghy (played by the amazing Alec Baldwin), Liz Lemon would do almost anything to get a big name to appear on her fictional show. On Thursday's Today show, Meredith Vieira lamented that she hadn't yet been invited to 30 Rock, despite her near-pleadings to have a cameo on the show.
5. Like Liz: Liz Lemon speaks in hilarious one-liners ("I want to do that thing rich people do where they turn money into more money."). Tina Fey speaks in hilarious one-liners (see: virginity quote above). After all, leave it to the writer to give herself some of the most hilarious one-liners on primetime TV.
What's your favorite 30 Rock moment? Chime in below!