- Hole puncher
- A twelve inch length of ribbon or yarn
- Option: Twenty four additional feet of ribbon or yarn
- Paint or color the inside of the whole plate.
- Paint or color the backside of one half of the other plate.
- Discard remaining half a plate.
- When paint is dry or coloring is complete, place the edge of the half plate, face to face, with the edge of the whole plate.
- Staple around edges. When stapling the half plate should be on the top, so that the sharp edges of the staples are under the edge of the whole plate.
- Holding the plate like a wall hanging, the "pouch" should be on the bottom.
- Option: A more dexterous child can punch holes around the edges and "lace" the plates together, instead of stapling.
- Using the hole punch, create two holes, one on each side, in the edge of the whole plate, just above the top of the half plate.
- Tie and knot one end of the ribbon or yarn through each hole.
- Hang pouch and use to hold mail, invitations, or photos.
- Vinyl wallpaper scraps, cut to 8" by 12" pieces
- Small photos, drawings, or cutouts
- Small paper hearts
- Small paper stars
- Glue stick
- Clear adhesive paper cut to 9" by 13" pieces
- Glue photos or drawings to wallpaper.
- Glue on hearts and stars.
- Add stickers.
- ADULT: Cover finished project with adhesive paper, turn over, and trim overhanging edges.
- Rub the side of a pencil across placemat in several directions to eliminate air bubbles. (Hint: A stubborn air bubble can be carefully popped with the head of a pin.)
This gift can be customized to your decor.