Knowing how to select the right childbirth education class can help give you the information you need to have a healthy and fulfilling childbirth experience. Lamaze International recommends that you look for certain features when choosing your class:
- A curriculum that supports birth as normal, natural and healthy, and empowers women to make informed choices.
- Class content that includes normal labor, birth and early postpartum; positioning for labor and birth; relaxation and massage techniques to ease pain; labor support; communications skills; information about medical procedures; breastfeeding; and healthy lifestyles.
- At least 12 hours of instruction with emphasis on skills practice (especially positioning and relaxation), comfort measures and class discussion.
- Small classes with an ideal size of six to 10 couples and a maximum of 12 couples.
- Qualifications of the instructor, including certification from a nationally recognized certification program such as Lamaze.
For additional information, read Choosing a Childbirth Educator and a Childbirth Class.