Photo Credit: ChinaFotoPress/ChinaFotoPress via Getty Images
We had no idea how badly we wanted a Backstreet Boys tell-all documentary until we found out they were making one. On Monday, The Hollywood Reporter announced that filmmaker Stephen Kijack (the director of several music documentaries) would be turning his lens on A.J. McLean, Howie Dorough, Nick Carter, Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell. And he promises it will be juicy.
"What drew me to this project is the band's openness and willingness to push themselves into uncomfortable places, to be vulnerable and honest and to be really trusting of the filmmaking team to steer them in the right direction," Kijak told THR, adding that this film won't be just a "3-D boy band puff piece."
Sounds like this film is going to show us a whole new side of '90s boy band craze. We're so there. And yet, we have so many questions! Here are eight things we would like to see Kijak address with the boys of Backstreet.
1. When you were performing your first-ever show at Orlando's SeaWorld, did you think you'd be headed for the big time? Or were you just hoping to get as far as Universal Studios?
2. Did you all secretly hate Nick Carter for being the pretty one?
3. Was the rivalry with 'N Sync like the gang war in West Side Story? If so, which band was the Sharks, and which was the Jets?
4. What is the meaning of being lonely?
5. Did having a squeaky-clean teen idol image make it easier or harder to stay out of trouble? Ever trash a hotel room with Justin Timberlake?
6. Why did Kevin Richardson mysteriously quit the band in 2006? And why did he come back?
7. Touring with New Kids on the Block: thrill of a lifetime, or something you had to be talked into?
8. What shape are your hearts, exactly? Aren't they heart-shaped? If so, why do you feel the need to show us?
Even if they don't answer any of our questions, we'll be thrilled to see a new music documentary that isn't just shameless self-promotion. (Although we kind of like those, too.) Now, the big question: will they call the movie Larger Than Life or I Want It That Way?