Here, a fresh, veggie-packed chicken stir-fry is wrapped in a crisp lettuce leaf for a quick summer dinner that's fun to eat. Kids who are old enough just love to make their own wraps.
Credit: Kathy Gunst with the editors of Parenting magazine
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch strips
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh water chestnuts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
- Chopped walnuts or cashews, finely chopped scallions, hoisin sauce and/or finely chopped fresh mint, optional, for garnish
Place the chicken in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of the soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of the sherry and marinate for 30 minutes.
In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard the oil and wipe the wok clean.
Heat the remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the carrot and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms and water chestnuts and stir-fry for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
Add the reserved chicken, the remaining teaspoon of soy sauce and the remaining teaspoon of sherry and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chopped mint.
Place on a serving platter, surrounded with the desired garnishes. To serve, spoon 3 to 5 tablespoons of filling onto individual lettuce leaves, roll each leaf to form a cone and top the open end with the garnish of your choice.
A small teaspoon or tablespoon just won't suffice for tasks like filling these wraps. Shop for a serving spoon.
Serve This Dish With: