Chorizo sausage, available in most supermarkets, adds nice smoky flavor to this hearty and delicious soup. October is a good time for kale, but you can substitute spinach or other dark leafy greens if you like.
Credit: Lifestyle Cooks
- 1 small stick chorizo, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 large potato
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 (16-ounce) can white beans (about 2 cups), undrained
- 4 cups kale, washed and chopped with stems removed
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, saute the chorizo, onions and garlic in the olive oil, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions soften. Add the red or yellow pepper, bay leaf, salt and crushed red pepper to the pot. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Cut the potato into cubes and add to the pot along with the white wine and stock or water. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Stir in the beans and kale. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with black pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
A pepper mill is one of the most-used kitchen tools. Shop for a pepper mill.
Serve This Dish With: