Entertaining over the weekend? This shrimp salad from the Barefoot Contessa makes a delightful summer lunch or dinner. If you don't have a crowd to feed, just halve the recipe -- but remember that the dish keeps well for a couple of days and makes great sandwiches.
Credit: Barefoot Contessa Parties! by Ina Garten
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
- 2 cups good mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons good white wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 cup minced red onion (1 onion)
- 3 cups minced celery (16 stalks)
Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for only 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cool water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool, then peel and devein the shrimp.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
A slotted spoon is handy when you're boiling or frying. Shop for a slotted spoon.
Serve This Dish With: