8 oz uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta (about 3 cups—see tip below)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp each grated gingerroot and toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 lbs), cut into strips or cubes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups halved medium-sized mushrooms
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped green onions
- 10 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Set aside.
Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Spray a large, non-stick wok with cooking spray and place over high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned on the outside but still pink in the center. Add broccoli, mushrooms, and red pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 6 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water to prevent sticking, if necessary. Add peas and onions. Cook 1 more minute. Add sauce and basil. Continue cooking until sauce is bubbly and has thickened, about 1 minute. Add rotini and cook 1 more minute, just until rotini is heated through. Serve hot.
Tip: You can substitute whole wheat spaghetti for the rotini.
Makes 6 servings
PER SERVING: 372 calories, 5.5 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 35 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 5.3 g fiber, 66 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium
From Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski