We asked iVillagers, "What's the worst, grossest job you've ever had?" The responses we got gave new meaning to the phrase "It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it." Feeling bummed at work? Just be glad you're not at one of these jobs:
- I used to clean the morgue and emergency areas at a major hospital, in a very bad part of town. I tried not to be cleaning the morgue or lab areas late at night... just creepy! And weird noises. You also never knew who or what you would be dealing with every day in the emergency area. Fights, fire starters, druggies, drunks...
- My first job was working on an assembly line cleaning the poo off eggs. It stunk, was hot, and lord help you if anything went wrong — shattered slippery, stinky eggs everywhere.
- My worst job was working in a medical lab. I worked in sample preparation (just out of college) and poured off urine and separated blood... not terrible, but could be pretty gross!
- I worked at an upscale fast food restaurant when I was 15, where I had to get inside the oven to clean it because I was the only one small enough to do it. Ick!
- I worked at a hog processing plant, on the production floor — specifically, the Loin Line. I had to peel the fat off ribs, weigh backbones, and pull tenderloins. After the grueling physical work, the sickly sweet smell of pig, being in 28-degree F temps all day, and walking around in blood, snouts and pig guts, I will never, ever eat ribs again.
- The one hotel job worse than working on the front desk is working in housekeeping! That man and woman who checked into the Jacuzzi suite at 10:30 with a case of beer and two pizzas? That's the room I had to clean the next morning with pizza floating in the tub and the toilet, with butt prints on the mirrors (I'll leave the question of how they got there to your imagination!), and used "personal supplies" all over the place.